mandag 17. mai 2010

AMIGOS FOREVER?

”Do you want to stay in Norway?”

When asked this question by Norwegians, I would usually go: “well, I don’t know. I have to finish my studies first, and then maybe…”.
This is wrong answer. Why?

Well, first why I used to answer like that. Because when I lived in Germany, one Persian lady told me: “Of course, you don’t feel discrimination here. Because you are staying only for one year program, and then you leave. And Germans are happy to hear that you don’t intend to stay. So they treat you better. But try to stay here, especially in a small place, you will meet quite different attitude”. So I , following that pattern, didn’t want to scare Norwegians with answers like: “yes, I am gonna stay here, buy a house, compete with you for jobs and kindergarten places, and get on your social system”. I’d better keep a low profile.

So why was that wrong? As somebody explained me: it takes years to build a friendship or any kind of relationship here in Norway. So when you say that you are going to study here and then maybe leave after a couple of years – you become uninteresting for Norwegians at once. Because why should they care to invest themselves in you, to start building friendship – if you are maybe leaving anyway in some years? Well, it is a good point. And again this is not a southern country when you become a friend after a day, a lover after two, and divorced after three.

So – are you going to stay in Norway? Now I say: “Yes!!!!!” but do I really mean it?

The soundtrack: Alex C. Feat Yasmin K. - Amigos Forever

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar