mandag 17. mai 2010

The question is...

17th of May. The perfect day to start this blog. 17th of May is the National day of Norway. And on this day I feel like foreigner stronger than ever.

The whole Norway marches proudly in parades. I sleep till 11, then lie in front of TV, watch parade in Oslo and understand: how far I am from this nation. I never marched in their parades, I never ate sausages and ice-cream on the 17 of May, I never had their national dress bunad. So how hard it is for me to understand them, and for them – to understand me.

Feeling my room with Italian music and speech (the favorite of the week: Eros Ramazzoti). Eating pancakes with sour cream and honey for brunch.

The question is: how long? How long should I live here to become a part of this culture and country? How long will it take me to feel a bit Norwegian, to integrate it into my identity? Or will I live here for 20 years more and get the same question all the time: “where do you come from? Do you like it here?” (Trives du I Norge?). I don’t want to be a foreigner all my life.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Hei dear and congratulations with the new blog! Well, about the 17th of may, you´re nor alone. This is my first 17th of may in the city, despite the fact that i´m hanging around here for the 4th year as well, so i was a bit curious about it. However we also slept till 12 (thanks to my 15 hour shift at Eurovision yesterday). So after it we were just lazy to go to the city, driving in the traffic jams, struggling for the parking place and staying the long lines to buy ice-cream or sausage. The funniest thing is that my husband, being a so called ethnic norwegian, has never participated in any of the 17 of may activities (lots because of the reasons listed above). So we just went on a 20km long bike ride and as we passed by all those grill smells on our way, we realized that we´re the least 17th of may people in the area. So dont you worry :))

    SvarSlett
  2. thanks :))). i hope to be fliiink, and to keep this journal updated. have many thoughts, but little time ;)
    my day has been lovely: started a new blog, washed things, read, wrote for school, danced. but i really miss a BBQ party. this is a good reason to love 17.mai for ;)

    SvarSlett