onsdag 19. mai 2010

Us vs. Them

Why are we, foreigners, so negative about Norwegians sometimes?
I was sitting in the university and studying with my classmates. The subject is introduction into culture and communication. And we were discussing questions of identity. Identity is not some essence in our being, but it is constructed – often in opposition “us against them”. And then a thought hit me:

We, Russians and post-soviets, are often so negative about Norwegians. But personally for me: is it easier to identify myself with any Russian than with any Norwegian? Would I throw myself around the neck of every Russian bum or farmer – just because he is Russian? Who is closer to me: Norwegian student or a Russian truck driver? Is this grouping “us, Russians – against them, Norwegians” really so actual? The divide is maybe not as great as we imagine. And of course, there are differences in culture. But there is more than that. It is hard for me to understand many Norwegians. But to understand many Russians is not easier . Their Russianness alone doesn’t make them my brothers and sisters.

People are people anywhere. There are stupid people, smart people, nice, mean, happy, unhappy. The problem is: when I am in my country, they are just people to me. And I can laugh of their stupidity, or get annoyed at their unkindness. But when I am in Norway, they are not just people. They are Norwegians. And when I laugh of them, I make often a note “this is so typically Norwegian”. And some get provoked. “Are Norwegians really like that?” Come on, I laugh at my country men too. Not only at Norwegians.

But I should take more care when I talk of Norwegians in terms of “us vs.them”.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar